Enrollment FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions About Enrollment Services


What do I need to do if…

I am a new family trying to enroll in the district?

Please go to our SCUSD Online Registration webpage to start the enrollment process for your student.

I have recently changed my address within SCUSD boundaries

Please fill out our Proof of Address webform to submit proof of address (SMUD, PG&E etc.)

I need to submit a request for an Intra or Inter District permit?

Please see our Permit Transfer Request webpage

I have a question and need to contact someone in the Enrollment Center?

Please email an Enrollment Center staff member with your question. 

I do not have access to a computer, where can I get a hard copy application?

Our Enrollment Center Lobby will be open from 8:00am to 1:00pm Monday through Friday. TK-12 application forms are posted on the southeast wall and completed applications can be placed in an envelope and dropped in our secure mailbox also located in the lobby. A Enrollment Center technician will contact you to complete the process.

Our Enrollment Center is open for in person support Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (closed 11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. for lunch) and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.  Our self-service lobby is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., where you can pick up and drop off hard copy applications in our K-12 drop box located on the Southeast wall.  There is also a mail box for preschool applications as well.