May is Mental Health Month
May is Mental Health Month, 2022
"Take Action for Mental Health!"
Each spring, SCUSD joins schools, families, and communities across the U.S. in celebrating #MayIsMentalHealthMonth. During the month of May we intensify our ongoing efforts to raise awareness around mental wellness, and stop stigma around mental illness. We encourage all SCUSD staff, students, families, and community members to join us in honoring May is Mental Health Month!
Take Action for Mental Health
We are joining Each Mind Matters – California’s Mental Health movement – in the 2022 “Take Action for Mental Health” campaign.
Take Action for YOU!
- Establish a regular mindfulness practice – free apps like Headspace (get a free subscription by signing up with your SCUSD email) can help!
- Use self-care and coping skills like exercise, proper sleep and nutrition, journaling, and hobbies to maintain and address challenges.
- Reach out for help:
- Student Support Centers and The Connect Center have caring, trained staff who can offer confidential support to students and their families;
- Get the free GRACE App for access to a wide range of resources in our community;
- SCUSD’s new partnership with Care Solace offers staff, students and their families 24/7 help in accessing mental health and substance use treatment in the community. Available in all languages.
Take Action for OTHERS!
- Know the Signs of someone struggling.
- Show you care – listen without judging.
- Get help
- Reach out to the Crisis Text Line 24/7 by texting the word “HOME” to 741-741; or
- Text “START” to 678-678 for help from The Trevor Project
Take Action ALL TOGETHER!
Participate in our #MayIsMentalHealthMonth spirit week!
- Friday, May 6: “Go Green for Mental Health” – Wear bright green for Children’s Mental Health Day!
- Monday, May 9: “Wear Your Emotions on Your Sleeve” – Add emojis to your outfit!
- Tuesday, May 10: “Be Kind to Your Mind” – Wear your favorite hat!
- Wednesday, May 11: “It Takes Courage to Talk About Mental Health” – Dress like your favorite superhero!
- Thursday, May 12: “Move It for Mental Health” – Wear sports or exercise gear!
- Friday, May 13: “Pajama Jam for Mental Health” – Dress in your favorite pjs!