Kit Carson International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
Kit Carson International Academy (KCIA) is a 7th-12th grade International Baccalaureate (IB) World School. The school curriculum is centered around a strong core academic program, coupled with a rigorous Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) component designed to meet the needs of accelerated learners. KCIA seeks to develop students who express themselves confidently and creatively, who use their knowledge to improve their local and global communities, and who thoughtfully consider the perspectives of other individuals and groups. Innovation, creativity and collaboration are valued at KCIA. Our small school atmosphere allows us to know every student by name. Through collaborative, interdisciplinary instruction, our students endeavor to explore highly engaging, rigorous and meaningful learning experiences that will encourage achievement at the highest level.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is an assessed programme for students aged 16 to 19. It is respected by leading universities across the globe. Through the Diploma Programme, schools are able to develop students who:
- have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge
- flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
- study at least two languages
- excel in traditional academic subjects
- explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course.
KCIA Student Outcomes
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is recognized and respected by the world’s leading universities, and evidence suggests that higher rates of DP students go on to university and higher education study than non-IB students.
Our first graduating class, the class of 2018 was made up of 22 students.
- Four students earned the Golden State Merit Seal
- Two students received the Seal of Biliteracy
- Graduates earned admission to the University of Pacific, Cal Poly Pomona, and CSUs Monterey Bay, Sacramento, San Jose, and Sonoma
- This year’s class of 2019 will be the first to attempt to receive the prestigious IB Diploma
- Please fill out a Specialty Program Application (available 11/26/18-12/20/18) to enroll into this program.
- One Page Typed Essay: submit to the SCUSD Enrollment Center by 12/20/18 at 12:00pm. Topic: Why is it important to understand global interdependence in the 21st century?
- Two Teacher Recommendations (one from your current ELA teacher and one from another current teacher). Recommendation requests will be submitted through the online application.
- Transcript. This will be automatically sent to the program through the online application.
- Standardized Test Scores. This will be automatically sent to the program through the online application.