John F. Kennedy Program in America and California Exploration (PACE)
Preparing students to be successful in college and beyond.
The Program in America and California Explorations (PACE) is a small learning community at John F. Kennedy High School. PACE is a California themed college preparation program with an emphasis on Advanced Placement courses. The goal is to ensure that all PACE students are prepared to attend and succeed at competitive four-year colleges and universities. Each PACE student takes a rigorous college-prep curriculum and uniquely designed English and history courses with an emphasis on California history, government, and literature, emphasizing writing across the curriculum. PACE English and social science classes are blocked in the freshman year and follow a modified block in the sophomore year. Junior and senior English and social sciences classes are traditional schedule and most PACE students are with the same English and social science teachers, so students benefit from a close-knit environment of a small learning community, yet have access to all the benefits of a large school.
PACE Student Outcomes
- 100% of PACErs take a minimum of four Advanced Placement courses during their high school experience.
- Since the first PACE class graduated in 2006, 99% of all PACErs have gone on to attend college:
- 31% have attended a University of California
- 28% have attended a California State University
- 11% have attended a private California university or out-of-state university
- 29% have attended a community college
- 1% have entered the military
- Please fill out a Specialty Program Application (available 11/26/18-12/20/18) to enroll into this program.
- Attend the essay session on December 11, 2018 at your middle or K-8 school. Go to www.scusd.edu/hsapplication-test for more information and to RSVP.
- Two Teacher Recommendations (one from your current ELA teacher and one from another current teacher). Recommendation requests will be submitted through the online application.
- GPA 3.0 or higher. Transcripts for 7th Grade (all quarters) and 8th Grade (first quarter) will be automatically sent to the program through the online application.
- Standardized Test Scores This will be automatically sent to the program through the online application.