Hepatitis B and C
Universal Precautions eTraining Slide 9
- Serious diseases caused by a virus that attacks the liver that can cause cirrhosis (scarring), liver cancer, liver failure, and death
- Infection is through infected blood, sexual contact, sharing needles, syringes, drug-injection equipment, unsterile equipment, razors or toothbrushes. The virus can live on surfaces for several weeks.
- A vaccine is available to prevent infection of Hepatitis B.
- There is no vaccine for HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C.
- Both Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C can remain dormant and asymptomatic for many years in your body.