The Thomas M. Eustis Memorial Scholarship-2020
(A $1,000.00 scholarship for one year (for math and science))
Application Period: February 12, 2020 – April 10, 2020
Thomas M. Eustis joined the C. K. McClatchy High School faculty in 1998 and taught math and fire science until 2006. He loved science and math and graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with an undergraduate degree in Forestry, and from Oregon State University with a graduate degree in Forestry. While at C. K. McClatchy High School, he served as the Fire Science Academy Coordinator under a California Department of Education grant and partnership with the Sacramento City Fire Department. Tom’s unique qualifications and work ethic helped him lead the Fire Science program for five years. Tom provided a creative, hands-on curriculum and teaching style with students, which were both effective and fun.
Tom loved trees, the forests, and everything connected with the outdoors and with nature. He held a deep regard for the beauty of the forests and a healthy respect for the balance of the ecosystem. The Thomas M. Eustis Memorial Scholarship Fund (for math and science) was established by his wife as an ongoing tribute to Tom, who passed away unexpectedly in July 2006 at age 48. The mission of this memorial scholarship is to recognize the achievements of students whose goals include higher education in a science or math field.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
Scholarships are available for SCUSD students who attend a district or dependent charter school. The Thomas M. Eustis Memorial Scholarship is open to students who plan to attend a California college or university campus with a science or math focus. Special consideration will be given to applicants who will be graduating from C. K. McClatchy High School.
Applicants should exhibit:
- Above average scholarship record – B+ academic GPA required
- Advanced math and science coursework
- Extra-curricular activities/community involvement
- Leadership qualities
- Cooperative spirit
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm
- Well rounded, outstanding high school experience
- Demonstrates financial need for enrolling in an institution of higher education
- Strong Personal Statement Student Essay that aligns to the mission of the scholarship
NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS:
Scholarship winners will be announced at the selected student’s High School Awards Assembly unless otherwise indicated.
Any student who meets the stated qualifications must complete an online application. The completed application must be accompanied by the following documents:
1. Two Letters of Recommendation (MUST INCLUDE):
- One from a high school administrator, counselor, or teacher; and
- One from outside the school (i.e. employer, pastor, youth leader, or community leader)
2. Personal Statement Student Essay (MUST BE TYPED and 750 words or less):
- Describe your educational and vocational goals (short-term and long-term) and how it aligns to the mission of the Thomas M. Eustis Memorial Scholarship
- How you plan to use the scholarship funds
- An unofficial transcript of student’s high school record, including the first semester of your senior year
4. College Enrollment:
- Verification of acceptance to a California college or university campus, or acknowledgement by the college that the process is underway