The Grant Bennett Memorial Scholarship-2020
(A One Year Scholarship for $2,500.00)
Application Period: February 12, 2020 – April 10, 2020
Grant Bennett served on the Board of Education of Sacramento City Unified School District for more than twenty-two years. He was a strong advocate for students and for providing the educational programs that would help them to achieve their goals. He was particularly interested in students pursuing careers in the business world. Grant’s many friends and colleagues in this community and throughout the state have contributed to establishing a scholarship fund in his memory.
The proceeds from the investment of this fund provide a Grant Bennett Memorial Scholarship annually to a Sacramento City Unified School District high school graduate who needs financial assistance to fund his/her education. Applicants are required to enroll in a campus of the University of California.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
Scholarships are available for SCUSD students who attend a district or dependent charter school. A graduating senior from any high school in the Sacramento City Unified School District; who
- is planning to enroll at any University of California campus
- has had a well-rounded, outstanding high school experience
- can provide a demonstration of financial need for enrolling in college
The cash award shall not be available to the recipient of the scholarshipuntil his/her actual enrollment at a University of California college has been verified and documentation has been approved by the chairperson of the awards committee.
Applicant should exhibit or demonstrate:
- The applicant agrees to enroll at a campus of the University of California
- Outstanding grade point average
- Involvement in extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Financial need
- Preference may be given to a student who plans to pursue a career in a business related field
NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS:
Scholarship winners will be announced at the selected student’s High School Awards Assembly, unless otherwise indicated.
Any student who meets the stated qualifications must complete an online application. The completed application must be accompanied by the following documents:
1. Two Letters of Recommendation: (MUST INCLUDE)
- One from a school official (principal, counselor, or teacher) at the student’s high school; and
- One from outside the school (employer, pastor, youth leader, or community leader)
2. Student Essay: (MUST BE TYPED and 750 words or less)
- Short-term and long-term goals
- Personal challenges
- Community involvement (including future involvement)
- An unofficial transcript of the student’s high school record, including the first semester of your senior year
4. College Enrollment:
- Verification of acceptance to a University of California institution, or acknowledgement by the university that the process is underway