Antonio Medrano Memorial Scholarship-2021
(A $1,000.00 scholarship for one year)
Application Period: January 4, 2021 – May 14, 2021
The Antonio Medrano Memorial Scholarship was established by a group of administrators and friends of Mr. Medrano. Mr. Medrano, Principal of Cesar Chavez Elementary School, passed away at the age of 51 on December 12, 2014. To honor him, a network of principals, with the blessing of his family, established this scholarship. Antonio, a life-long educator, worked hard supporting the families in his community. By establishing this scholarship, the trustees hope to continue his legacy and honoring all the hard work he did in supporting the community.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
Scholarships are available for SCUSD students who attend a district or dependent charter school. There shall be one scholarship awarded annually to a student graduating from a high school in the Sacramento City Unified School District. Applicants must enroll full-time in an accredited two- or four-year college, or vocational school.
Preference will be given to students who were enrolled in a bilingual program within the Sacramento City Unified School District, or attended Ethel Phillips, Edward Kemble, Washington, or Cesar Chavez Intermediate School.
NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS:
Scholarship winners will be announced at the selected student’s High School Awards Assembly unless otherwise indicated.
Any student who meets the stated qualifications must complete an online application. The completed application must be accompanied by the following documents:
1. Two Letters of Recommendation (MUST INCLUDE):
Both letters must include a phone number and contact information, and if possible, should be on official letterhead.
- One from an educator (i.e., teacher, counselor, principal, etc.) at the student’s high school; and
- One from an adult community member who is not related to you (i.e., community organization representative, church or religious leader, employment supervisor, etc.)
2. Student Essays: 2 separate 500 word essays (MUST BE TYPED):
Student must provide a complete response to the autobiography essay question and choose one of the two options for your second essay. Each answer should be 500 words or less. Essays written in Spanish are acceptable.
- Essay One: Autobiography: Describe the world you came from: your family, community, schools, and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations. What is an experience that has occurred in your life that is important, and why?
Essay Two: Two Options:
- Leadership: Discuss your leadership ability and potential. Provide examples of when you demonstrated leadership skills or character traits
- Impact of a school educator: Explain your relationship with an educator during your school age years. Specifically, what were some of your memorable interactions and how did it impact your life
- An unofficial transcript of the student’s high school record, including the first semester of your senior year
4. College Enrollment:
- Verification of acceptance to a two- or four-year college, or vocational school, or acknowledgement by the college that the process is underway