Universal GATE Screening Process
1st through 4th Grades
Universal Gifted Education Screening Process Begins in January
The first step in the screening process for Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) services is a cognitive abilities assessment administered to SCUSD students each January.
Unique for the 2021-22 school year, all students in grades 1, 2, 3 & 4 will be screened for potential GATE services. This expanded universal screening administration is designed to address the inability to safely, reliably and equitably offer GATE screening in the 2020-21 school year.
SCUSD utilizes multiple measures to identify students for services. This screening assessment is but one part of the GATE screening process.
- SCUSD uses the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) Form 7 for all grades. Learn more about the CogAT.
- Composite scores are not considered. Each domain (Verbal, Quantitative, and Non-Verbal) is considered independently.
- The CogAT is administered by classroom teachers over a series of days.
- 1st & 2nd grade students will participate via paper/pencil booklets.
- 3rd & 4th grade students will participate via Chromebooks.
Notification of GATE Screening assessment results and GATE Identification status will happen by mail in the month of June.
Approximate Screening Timeline
- Screening Session for new students to SCUSD. (Please submit Screening Referral Form)
- Referral Screening Session for new students to SCUSD or students in grades 4-6. (Please submit Screening Referral Form).
- Universal Screening Notification Letters distributed by school sites to 1st through 4th grade families.
- School Sites prepare for winter GATE screening.
- GATE Screening (CogAT) for 1st through 4th graders — ALL Schools*
- Make-up GATE Screening, if needed (at school sites).
- Screening Session for new students to SCUSD or students in grades 1-6 who are not currently attending SCUSD schools, but reside in district. (Must submit Screening Referral Form by January 31st to participate.)
- GATE Screening Assessments scored by publisher.
- Additional data collected and reviewed as a part of GATE determination process.
- Schools and families are notified of GATE Screening Results
- GATE Center Site Visits*
- Deadline to request GATE Center Placement
- Lottery for GATE Centers (If needed).
- Families are notified of GATE Center placements — July & August
- *In person site visits dependent on COVID safety protocols.