Food Allergy eTraining Slide 9
Mild signs & symptoms caused by food allergies may be alleviated through over the counter allergy medicines such as the brand name medicine, benadryl, which also goes by the generic name diphenhydramine.
- An antihistamine
- Relieves mild signs & symptoms like:
- Flushed skin or rash
- Tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth
- Face, tongue, or lip swelling
- Minor throat or airway irritation
- Follow the directions labeled on the package or bottle prior to giving the medicine.
- Can have side effects:
- Dry mouth, nose & throat
- Excitement (especially in children)