How to Prevent a Reaction
Food Allergy eTraining Slide 13
In order to prevent severe allergic reactions individuals should do the following:
- Strictly avoid known food allergens
- Be able to recognize and manage allergic reactions to food early.
- Read food labels prior to consumption. Food labels help allergic consumers to identify offending foods or ingredients so they can more easily avoid them.
- Promptly administer epinephrine by autoinjector (e.g., Epi-pen) during early symptoms of anaphylaxis (“Food allergies: What,” 2010).
- AND have an action plan to help guide food allergy management.