Giving Insulin With A Syringe
Diabetes Lab eTraining Slide 14
- Get supplies: insulin, syringe and needle , alcohol wipe, gloves & sharps container
- Wash hands and apply gloves.
- Have student select injection site
- Clean the injection site and wait to dry
- Verify the type of insulin before drawing into the syringe.
- Clean the rubber top of the insulin vial with an alcohol swab.
- Remove the cap from syringe. Do NOT touch the needle.
- Pull the plunger down to the number of units to be administered.
- Insert the needle into the vial and push the plunger in with the syringe tip down. This will inject air into the vial.
- With the needle still the in bottle, turn the vial and syringe upside down and pull the plunger down to number of units of insulin to be administered.
- Check the insulin dose. Reverify 5 Rights
- Pinch up the skin
- Push the needle into the skin at 90 degrees. Do not insert the needle at an angle
- Release pinch
- Push the plunger in
- Remove needle and dispose of syringe in approved sharps container. Never re-cap.
- Document time, dosage, site, and blood glucose value