Uniform:Solid blue, yellow or white tops; solid blue or khaki bottoms
School colors: Yellow and blue
Special programs: Bilingual Early Exit Transitional Program (Grades K-3); Reading Partners; Student Resource Center; Parents as Partners in Schools; Intel PC Pals
Signature field trip: Phillips’ PTA sponsors field trips for every student
The arts: Annual student showcase
Sports: Track and field (May and June)
After-school program: START
The students, families, staff and surrounding neighbors of Ethel Phillips School are working together to support all students to develop cooperation with peers, creativity, personal responsibility and accountability. Students will achieve academically and develop critical thinking and problem-solving strategies that will lead to success in an ever-changing world. In order to bring our vision into reality, we will: develop cooperation within the community; foster students’ creativity; teach responsibility; provide quality instruction of California State Standards and encourage opportunities for students to think critically and solve problems.
Fall is traditionally a season of harvesting and community. In that spirit, several teachers and staff at Ethel Phillips Elementary School worked with parents to plan and organize the school’s second annual Fall Festival/Festival de Otoño.
The event was an overwhelming success, with hundreds of students, families and community members in attendance.The event brought local businesses, middle and high school volunteers and the community onto the school campus for an evening that raised more than $2,500 for class field trips.
This program will give students the opportunity to participate in meaningful and engaging activities through a project based learning program to strengthen their literacy, math, social science, healthy eating, physical activity, and artistic skills. Free breakfast and lunch provided daily. Program includes Field Trips, performances, and an end of the summer community celebration!
Dates: June 22 – July 30, 2015
Time: 8:00 am – 2:00 pm, Days: Monday – Thursday
Application Due Date: May 1, 2015 (Space is limited, enrollment based on a lottery process)
Locations: A.M. Winn, Bowling Green, Boys & Girls Club (Teichert), Caroline Wenzel, Elder Creek, Ethel I Baker, Ethel Phillips, Golden Empire, John Bidwell, Leataata Floyd, Marina Vista (Freedom School), Meadow Glen (Community), Nicholas, O.W. Erlewine, Peter Burnett, Phoenix Park (Freedom School) and William Land.
The Transitional Bilingual Program utilizes Spanish as the primary language of instruction from kindergarten through grade 3. The mission of this program is to transition Spanish-speaking students into mainstream classrooms by the third grade. In kindergarten, 90 percent of the instruction is provided in Spanish and the remaining 10 percent is done in English. As the students matriculate through grades one, two and three, the percentage of Spanish instruction is gradually reduced and English is increased by 10 percent. Afterwards, gradually adhering to the transition of the students to instruction in English, the goals are to facilitate the content classes, to develop their literary abilities, and to get students to become fluent in their own native language. This method will facilitate a transition from the Spanish into English language in a less stressful way for the students.
During the course of any given year, the Child Development program provides early care and education to approximately 3,000 children ages 0-12. Children served include typically developing infants, toddlers and preschoolers and those with disabilities.
Parents are afforded a variety of program options and approaches, including center-based and home-based services, full-day/part-day preschool, infant/toddler playgroups and before/after school-age care.
Our district is working diligently to provide opportunities for our students to expand their linguistic repertoire to meet the ever-changing needs of the global society. As a result, language immersion programs have become a pathway for our students to acquire fluent literacy skills in both English and their home language.
Elementary, middle, and high school students are assigned to a designated neighborhood school based on where the student lives, as long as the school offers the services the student needs. Each neighborhood school has a defined geographic boundary and is intended to serve the students who live within that geographic boundary.
Go to our Attendance Area page for more information about school boundaries, attendance maps and our neighborhood school locator.