Type 1 Diabetes (Insulin Dependent)
Diabetes eTraining Slide 5
- Type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune disorder. In type 1 diabetes, the immune system attacks the beta cells, the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas, and destroys them.
- The pancreas can no longer produce insulin, so all people with type 1 diabetes will need multiple daily administrations of insulin.
- Can occur at any age but most often in children and young adults
- Accounts for 5-10% of diabetes in the U.S.
- Healthy eating, physical activity, and taking insulin are the basic therapies for type 1 diabetes