Diabetes Lab eTraining Slide 4
- Gather blood glucose monitoring supplies: lancet, test strip and meter.
- Student washes hands and dries thoroughly
- If assisting a student, put on disposable gloves
- Turn the meter on if necessary. Some meters turn on automatically when the strip is inserted.
- Check code number that appears on meter with the code number found on the container of the test strips. Correct meter code if necessary
- Insert a strip into the meter
- Hold the lancet to side of finger and press the button
- Express an adequate drop of blood
- Apply drop of blood to test strip (completely cover strip)
- Wait. Blood glucose results will be displayed on the meter.
- Dispose of the lancet with school and local ordinances. Never recap the lancet
- Test strips may be discarded in a regular trash can
- Record blood glucose result and take appropriate action as per HEP