The Susan Cherveny Memorial Scholarship-2020
(One Year Scholarship for $500.00)
Application Period: February 12, 2020 – April 10, 2020
Susan Cherveny was a professional ballet dancer and extraordinary person who in mid-life became a middle school teacher. She taught 7th and 8th grades at Will C. Wood Middle School with verve and enthusiasm, specializing in language arts and reading. Susan worked with children from lower income brackets and helped them build self-esteem in the process of learning vital academic skills.
Small in stature but large in presence, Ms. Cherveny was able to reach many students who otherwise may not have remained in school. At 50 years of age, she passed away in the Fall of 2001, leaving a powerful legacy for those students fortunate enough to have worked with her.
The mission of this scholarship is to recognize the creative achievements of students whose goals include higher education. This scholarship shall be open to students graduating from a Sacramento City Unified School District high school, who have maintained an average scholarship record, who has a verifiable acceptance to a university, community college, or trade school.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
Scholarships are available for SCUSD students who attend a district or dependent charter school. The Susan Cherveny Scholarship provides one $500.00 scholarship to a graduating student from a Sacramento City Unified School District high school. Special consideration shall be given to applicants who formerly attended Will C. Wood Middle School.
Applicants should exhibit:
- Extra-curricular activities/community involvement
- Excellence in Language Arts and Humanities
- Cooperative spirit and positive attitude
- Evidence of financial need for enrolling in an institution of higher education
NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS:
Scholarship winners will be announced at the selected student’s High School Awards Assembly unless otherwise indicated.
Any student who meets the stated qualifications must complete an online application. The completed application must be accompanied by the following documents:
1. Two Letters of Recommendation: (MUST INCLUDE)
- One from a school official (principal, counselor, or teacher) at the student’s high school; and
- One from outside the school (i.e. employer, pastor, youth leader, or community leader)
2. Student Essay: (MUST BE TYPED and 750 words or less)
- Your short-term and long-term career goals
- Community involvement (including past and future involvement)
- Explain how you plan to use the scholarship funds
- An unofficial transcript of student’s high school record, including the first semester of the senior year
4. College Enrollment:
- Verification of acceptance to a University of California institution, or acknowledgement by the university that the process is underway