School Site Council Best Practices
Every two years, the California Department of Education monitors our compliance with School Site Council laws and regulations. The following practices are most important and are listed in Education Code 52852:
- A properly composed School Site Council and properly conducted elections for members during which teachers vote for teachers, other staff for other staff, parents for parents, and students for students.
- All election materials (nomination forms and ballots) must be saved and stored at the school site for 5 years.
- School Site Council meeting agendas are created and posted 72 hours in advance of the meeting.
- School Site Council minutes of the meeting are taken indicating the agenda was followed and having some detail of discussion and record of the results of voting.
- All present Site Council members sign–in their attendance at the meeting.
- Any changes to the School Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) and/or budget must be approved by School Site Council vote.
In addition to election materials, all School Site Council documents are stored at the school for 5 years. School Site Council calendars, agendas, minutes and sign-ins should be uploaded to the school’s School Site Council 2018-19 folder regularly. Agenda-Minute templates, election materials (also in Spanish), School Site Council composition information and a School Site Council Essentials Powerpoint can be found at www.scusd.edu/SSC.