Attendance Letters – InClass Today
Through the Be HERE Attendance Grant, the District has entered into a partnership with InClass Today in an effort to reduce chronic absenteeism. InClass Today delivers absence letters/reports to parents and guardians. The letters use behavioral insights to empower parents and guardians with information about their child’s absences and the potential impact poor attendance has on academic outcomes. The letters are meant to be informational and seek to provide supports rather than be punitive in nature.
Research has demonstrated that parents frequently have misconceptions when it comes to school attendance and underestimate the number of days their students miss. InClass Today’s absence reports communicate a child’s absence information simply and frequently, focusing parents’ attention on attendance during key periods throughout the year.
InClass Today will provide absence reports to families 6 times this year. Approximately 7,000 K-12th grade students that are missing between 5-20% of school will receive these reports. InClass Today will apply a student selection algorithm to identify and select eligible students that their analytics suggest most likely to benefit from receiving the reports, so not every child that falls into the at risk or chronically absent category will receive a letter. Also, parents and guardians may opt their child out of the program at any time.
What you need to know:
- The first round of letters was mailed Friday, November 1, 2019
- The second round will be mailed Friday, November 29, 2019
- A tab has been created in Infinite Campus titled “In Class Today” that will identify each time a student receives a letter
- Parents/Guardians will be directed to call a centralized resource number should they have questions or concerns
- If you have a student you would like to opt out because of extenuating circumstances (illness, safety concerns, etc.), please complete the following exclusion form and submit to Jenniferemail@example.com
- Here is a sample letter
If you have additional questions please contact Jennifer Kretschman or Doug Huscher for more information.