SCUSD seeks applicants for school repurposing committee
‘7-11 Committee’ will consider re-use and disposition of sites not needed for schools in the fall
April 17, 2013 (Sacramento) – The Sacramento City Unified School District is forming a “7-11 Committee” (a committee with seven or 11 members) to advise the Board of Education on the reuse, repurposing and disposition of school buildings and vacant sites not needed for school purposes. The formation of the committee follows the Board’s decision last month to close seven chronically under-enrolled elementary schools next fall.
Under California law, the committee must be comprised of at least
seven members who represent each of the following:
• The ethnic, age group and socioeconomic composition of the district
• The business community, such as store owners, managers or supervisors
• Landowners or renters, with preference to be given to representatives of neighborhood associations
• Parents of students
• Persons with expertise in environmental impact, legal contracts, building codes and land use planning, including, but not limited to, knowledge of the zoning and other land use restrictions of the cities or cities and counties in which surplus space and real property is located.
Interested persons may apply online at
www.scusd.edu/7-11-committee or submit a paper application to the
SCUSD Board of Education, Box 701, 5735 47th Ave., Sacramento, CA
95824 (application is available for download at
www.scusd.edu/7-11-committee). All candidates must submit:
1. Current contact information (name, address, email, phone);
2. Which category (or categories) of membership criteria (listed above) you qualify for;
3. A current resume;
4. Written responses to the following two questions:
o Why are you interested in serving on SCUSD’s 7-11 Committee?
o Were you personally impacted by Board’s recent decision to close seven elementary schools next fall? If yes, please explain.
Deadline for applying is 5 p.m. on Friday, May 3. Applications
submitted after that time will not be processed. If you have
questions or need assistance, please contact Gail Ferguson at
email@example.com or (916) 643-9314.