Sacramento City Unified and SEIU, Local 1021 leaders reach tentative labor agreement
SACRAMENTO, CA – The Sacramento City Unified School District and leaders of the Service Employees International Union, Local 1021 today issued the following joint statement announcing they have reached a tentative agreement on a three-year contract:
“In order to achieve the district’s guiding principle of ensuring every student has an equal opportunity to graduate with the greatest number of postsecondary choices from the widest array of options, both the leaders of the Service Employees International Union, Local 1021 and Sacramento City Unified School District agree our students need a safe and positive school climate and learning environment. The work performed by our classified employees represented by SEIU, Local 1021 is essential to achieving this goal. The three-year tentative agreement we have reached will help the district retain and recruit the qualified employees necessary to support safe, properly maintained and efficient operating schools. Highlights of the agreement include:
- All SEIU member salaries will increase by 7.5% over three years:
- 2.0% salary increase for 2016-17, effective 1/1/17
- 2.0% salary increase for 2017-18, effective 7/1/17
- 3.5% salary increase for 2018-19, effective 7/1/18
- Option to re-open items (including compensation) in the 2nd and 3rd year of the agreement.
- All SEIU, Local 1021 members employed 6 hours or greater will contribute one third of one percent of their base salary toward payment of retirement benefits.
- Instructional Aides in Child Development will receive a salary increase equal to one range on the salary schedule.
- Bus drivers currently working 5 hours per work day will increase shifts to 6 hours per work day. All new bus drivers will work a minimum of 6 hours per work day.
- Paid leave for child birth will increase from 1 day to 3 days.
- Employees with accumulated vacation will be offered a one-time opportunity to cash out up to 30 days of vacation.
- The annual allowance for purchasing appropriate safety footwear for transportation shop personnel, roofers and other staff as designated by the district will increase from $135 to $200.
- District will provide uniforms (aprons, shirts, hair nets, hats/visors) for all nutrition services workers.
- Clarifying contract language that will enable more opportunities to transfer to open positions in the district.
The SEIU, Local 1021 will now take the tentative agreement to its membership for ratification. Upon ratification, the Board of Education will vote to approve the agreement. The SEIU and district look forward to continuing working together to make Sacramento City Unified schools choice destinations for students and families across California.”
Alex Barrios, 916-752-3705 (SCUSD)
Ian Arnold, 415-717-8947 (SEIU 1021)
About SEIU Local 1021 – SEIU Local 1021 represents over 54,000 employees in local governments, non-profit agencies, health care programs and schools throughout Northern California. In Sacramento City Unified School District, SEIU 1021 represents bus drivers, clerical workers, custodians, electrical workers, food service workers, library workers, instructional aides, interpreters, laborers, maintenance workers, teaching assistants, technology workers, warehouse and other classified employees.
About Sacramento City Unified School District – Sacramento City Unified School District is one of the oldest K-12 districts in the western United States (established in 1854). SCUSD serves 43,024 students on 77 campuses spanning 70 square miles.