Kindergarten Specific Questions
Open Enrollment 2019-20
Can incoming kindergarten students apply for Open Enrollment?
Yes. Under the Kindergarten Readiness Act students must be 5 years old by September 1, 2020 to enroll in the 2019-2020 school year (EC Section 48000[a]).
Should I register my kindergartener in his/her neighborhood school before I apply for Open Enrollment?
It is recommended that you register your kindergartener in his/her neighborhood school before or after you apply for Open Enrollment in case your child is not selected through the lottery.
The following documents are required to complete enrollment for students NEW to the district (including kindergarten):
- Valid Photo ID
- Current mortgage / property tax bill or rental / lease agreement
- Current utility bill (SMUD, PG&E, or WATER) with correct name and address
- Proof of birth – original county issued birth certificate or passport for each child that will be enrolled
- Immunization record for each child
- Individualized Education Plan (IEP) if your child is receiving Special Education services
- Guardianship / Custody papers (if applicable)