General Questions
High School Specialty Program Application


What is the High School Specialty Program Application?

The High School Specialty Program Application is an opportunity for each student who resides permanently within the boundaries of the Sacramento City Unified School District (SCUSD) to apply for enrollment in a SCUSD high school specialty program, based on space availability. SCUSD offers specialty programs at both our neighborhood and small specialized high schools.

Who is eligible to apply?

Students entering the 9th through 12th grades for the 2020-2021 school year that live within our district boundaries can apply through an online application. If you live within our district boundaries, but do not go to a SCUSD school, you must pre-register to apply online. 

Students who live outside our district boundaries (including those currently on an inter-district permit) are not eligible to participate in the online application.  A paper application will be available for download starting on January 7, 2020 for students who wish to apply during our inter and intra permit window April 1, 2020 - May 1, 2020. Please contact the Enrollment Center for more information.

Out-of-district applicants who meet the program requirements will be accepted or go on the waiting list after qualified in-district applicants per California Education Code.

How do I learn about the programs?

You can learn about all the programs listed below and their specific requirements at

Which programs have criteria for admission?

  • C.K. McClatchy HISP
  • C.K. McClatchy VAPA
  • Kit Carson International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
  • John F. Kennedy PACE
  • Rosemont LEAD
  • West Campus

Are there visitation days?

Please visit for a full list of visitations.

Which programs require me to attend an essay or test session?

  • C.K. McClatchy HISP
  • John F. Kennedy PACE
  • Rosemont LEAD
  • West Campus

Is transportation provided by the school district to the specialty program I am accepted to?

No, transportation is not provided for students accepted into specialty programs. Parents are responsible for transporting their students.

Can I use my work address for my student to apply to a High School Specialty Program?

The Sacramento City Unified School District interprets the Allen Bill in the following ways:

  1. A parent/guardian is required to provide on letterhead a statement from the employer verifying employment and the work address.
  2. Since our district utilizes addresses for placement, in order to establish residency the student must enroll in the neighborhood school associated with the work address. So for example if the work address is associated with California Middle School the student must enroll in California Middle School (IF) the school has space for the student. If the school does not have the space, the student cannot enroll.
  3. Once this is complete and the student is attending, the student can then apply for any programs through High School Specialty Program (HSSP) or Open Enrollment (OE).
  4. Families cannot use their work address to apply for the HSSP or OE if they are not attending our school(s) through the Allen Bill currently.
  5. Residency is established by enrolling.

Students who live outside the district boundaries may apply during our Permit Window, April 1 – May 1, 2020, to High School Specialty Programs that still have openings.