Language Aquisition Programs
Sacramento City Unified School District Language Immersion and Bilingual Programs.
Welcome to SCUSD’s Language Immersion Home Page. Our district is working diligently to provide opportunities for our students to expand their linguistic repertoire to meet the ever-changing needs of the global economy. As a result, language immersion programs have become a pathway for our students to become literate in both English and their home language.
Language immersion is a method of teaching a second language in which the target language is used for instruction. Target language is defined as a language other than English such as Spanish, Hmong, Cantonese, or Mandarin. By way of a language immersion program, students will receive instruction where English and the target language are used as teaching tools and students are “immersed” in the second language.
Dual immersion programs have increased in the United States since the 1980s for a number of reasons: competition in a global economy, a growing population of English language learners, and the success of previous programs. Language immersion classes, in an array of languages, can now be found in urban and suburban areas throughout the United States.
- Edward Kemble Elementary (K – 3rd) – (916) 433-5025
- Cesar Chavez Elementary (4th – 5th) – (916) 433-7397
- Bowling Green Chacon (K – 6th) – (916) 433-7321
- Ethel Phillips Elementary (K - 3rd) – (916) 277-6277
- Elder Creek Elementary (K) – (916) 382-5970
- William Land Elementary (K) – (916) 264-4166
- Susan B. Anthony Elementary (K – 1st) – (916) 433-5353