Basic Isolation and Quarantine Guidance for Families, Students and Staff
Frequently Asked Questions about Isolation and Quarantine Guidance
If you test positive for COVID-19, stay home and notify your school office.
Tested Positive for COVID?
If you test positive for COVID-19, notify your school office. You must stay home and isolate for at least 5 days from the date of first symptom.
Students and Staff
If a student or staff person tests positive they must stay at home for at least 5 days.
Isolation can end after Day 5 if:
- They feel well, symptoms are improving
- At least 24 hours have passed since a fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher has resolved without the use of fever-reducing medication.
- The earliest they may return is Day 6.
- Students: Consistent use of a well fitted face mask while indoors at school is recommended through Day 10. Per CDPH individuals may remove their mask sooner than Day 10 with two sequential negative tests at least one day apart.
- Staff: Per Cal/OSHA, employees must wear face coverings around others for a total of 10 days.
Beyond Day 5 if symptoms not improving:
- If fever is present, isolation should be continued until 24 hours after fever resolves.
- If symptoms, other than fever, are not improving, continue to isolate until symptoms are improving OR until after Day 10.
- If symptoms are severe, or you are at high risk of serious disease or have questions concerning care, you should contact their healthcare provider for guidance.
- After day 10, if your symptoms recur or worsen, get tested again and if positive, restart isolation at Day 0
For reference, Day 0 is the day you were tested or the first day symptoms started and Day 1 is the first full day after you tested or after symptoms started.
Were You Identified as a Close Contact or Were Exposed to Someone Who Has COVID?
Students and staff regardless of vaccination status may continue to attend school/work as long as they do not develop symptoms of illness. Exposed individuals are recommended to test for COVID-19 3-5 days after the exposure. Consistent use of a well-fitted face mask while at school is recommended through Day 10 after the last day of exposure.