Water Safety at Hubert H. Bancroft Elementary School
Children at Hubert H. Bancroft Elementary School learned water safety tips from Splasher the Frog and his friends Joe and Charlie during their water adventure puppet show!
The AquaSMART Live puppet show teaches children how to be safe when they are in and around California’s Waterways. Splasher the Frog and his friends Joe and Charlie, the AquaSMART Stunt-Dummies, perform scenes to show families what can happen when they are not safe in the water.
The partnership with AquaSMART helped teach kids the importance of safety tips in a fun and interactive way. Warm days are around the corner and extremely important that we teach our kids how to be safe in or around water.
Here are LifeSaving Tips for Parents:
- Children must wear a life jacket when on dock, riding in boat or raft, when skiing or tubing, and when fishing or playing near the water.
- Children should be constantly supervised when in or near water, even if they are wearing a life jacket.
- Swimming lessons and infant/toddler water adjustments class promote water safety, but they do not replace adult supervision.
- Teach your children safe areas for swimming.
- Use and enforce water safety rules, children learn from the actions of adults.
- Never use inflatable water toys, like beach balls or water wings, as life jackets or life preservers.
- Learn infant/child cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). When visiting a new water area, know where the nearest phone is to call 9-1-1 for help.
For more information about AquaSMART, please visit the Department of Boating and Waterways, Education Unit at www.dbw.ca.gov or call 1-888-326-2822.