Updates on Immunizations for the 2019-2020 School Year
Staying current with shots or immunizations is important to your child’s good health and that of their classmates.
New Immunization Requirements
For students entering Early Kinder, Kindergarten or transferring to Sac City for the 2019-2020 school year, school immunization requirements will now include:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) - 5 doses (4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday. 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 7th birthday.For 7th-12th graders, at least 1 dose of pertussis-containing vaccine is required on or after 7th birthday.)
- Polio (OPV or IPV) - 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Hepatitis B - 3 doses (not required for 7th grade entry)
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 2 doses (both given on or after 1st birthday)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) - 2 doses
Incoming 7th grade for the 2019-2020 school year will also need to provide records of having received:
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) —1 dose
- Varicella (Chickenpox) — 2 doses
All other SCUSD students who remain enrolled will not be impacted until/unless they transfer out of SCUSD.
Starting July 1, 2019, a parent or guardian must submit a signed, written statement from a physician (MD or DO) licensed in California which states:
- The specific nature of the physical condition or medical circumstance of the child for which a licensed physician does not recommend immunization.
- Each specific required vaccine that is being exempted.
- Whether the medical exemption is permanent or temporary.
- If the exemption is temporary, an expiration date no more than 12 calendar months from the date of signing.
California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at Early Kinder/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry.
Parents must show their child’s Immunization Record as proof of immunization. Learn more at Shots for School.