Schools closed for instruction; urging continued negotiations
Dear Sac City Unified Families,
We know that today has been an extremely difficult day for our community, particularly for our students who lost a day of learning and for our families who had to find alternatives to care for and supervise their children while also managing schedules and other obligations. We are heartbroken that our efforts to avert the strike – through good faith bargaining under the guidance of state-appointed mediators from the State Mediation and Conciliation Service and with enhanced offers to the Sacramento City Teachers Association (SCTA) – have been unsuccessful. Our negotiations team stands at the ready to meet SCTA at the bargaining table at any time.
We anticipate that SCTA and SEIU will continue to strike tomorrow. For now, please expect our schools to be closed for student instruction and activities tomorrow and to keep your children home from school. While we remain hopeful that we will reach an agreement soon, we know that in order for you to make arrangements for child care and supervision, it’s critical that we provide you with as much notice as possible. We will reach out with further communication should the status of our schools change this evening or tomorrow morning.
We urge thorough consideration of our enhanced proposal to reach agreement and welcome back our children to school.
While the next hours and days feel unpredictable for our children, families and staff, we will continue to support our students and their site leaders to meet basic needs while schools are closed for instruction and activities. Students may log into their Clever accounts to access these Learning Resource Menus although it does not count as attendance in the absence of instruction:
With schools closed for instruction and activities tomorrow, meals will continue to be distributed for all students at community locations for pickup between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. each day:
- Shiloh Baptist Church | 3565 9th Avenue
- YMCA | 2021 W. Street
- Boys and Girls Club | 5212 Lemon Hill
- La Familia Maple Neighborhood Center | 3301 37th Avenue
- Old Florin Tech School | 24th and Florin
- Raley’s Supermarket | 4690 Freeport Blvd.
- Raley’s Supermarket| 8391 Folsom Blvd.
- Clayton B. Wire Campus | 5100 El Paraiso Ave
- Floyd Farms | 401 A McClatchy Way | *Walk up service only
Free meals are available for each child 18 years of age and younger during the strike, and meal distribution will continue until regular schedules resume. A special thank you to Central Kitchen and to our community partners for offering locations for remote meal services.
COVID testing is still functional at our regional testing centers:
- Serna Center 9am -4pm (Mon-Fri)
- Albert Einstein MS 4-7pm (Mon-Fri)
- Meadowview Testing Center 10am – 4pm (Mon-Fri)
COVID Vaccine Clinics will also remain open to the community:
- Rose’s Family Creative Empowerment Center, Wednesday, March 23 from 2pm – 6pm (UC Davis partnership)
- Rose’s Family Creative Empowerment Center, Thursday, March 24 from 2pm – 6pm (UC Davis partnership)
- Serna Center Friday, March 25 from 4-7pm (SCUSD Clinic)
- Will C Wood MS, Saturday March 26 from 9am – 1pm (CDPH partnership)