Get Ready! School Starts Thursday, August 30
The first day of school for most Sacramento City Unified schools is Thursday, August 30th! Are you ready? To help you plan and prepare for back to school, here are some helpful tips and important information you need to know.
Have questions about your student’s enrollment and other information? Here are a few helpful links:
- Enrollment Center - This is your one stop shop for all of your enrollment questions.
- K-12 School Directory – All of our school websites are listed on this page. Please check your school’s website for back to school events and supply lists.
- School Bell Schedules & SCUSD’s Attendance Calendars - Check this link to download your school’s daily and shortened day schedules, plus view our attendance calendars for all school holidays and shortened days.
- Free Immunization Clinic for Grades eK-12 – Sac City Unified’s Health Services Department offers free immunizations for students who are eligible for these services at our Enrollment Center.
Back to School Preparation Tips for Parents
The National Association of School Psychologists offers several tips for parents to help students make a smooth transition from summer to fall:
- Re-establish bedtime and mealtime routines at least one week before school starts. End late summer bedtimes and begin waking up your student at the time they will wake up during the school year. Re-establish a bedtime reading routine, too.
- Limit TV, video games and computer time now. Encourage your student to play quiet games, complete puzzles, work with flash cards, color or read to ease back into an at-home learning schedule.
- Designate a spot for backpacks, lunches and important notices from school. Explain that emptying their backpack each evening is part of their responsibility, even for young children.
- Visit school with your student. Locating their classroom, restrooms and the cafeteria will help ease pre-school anxieties — especially for children starting at a new school.
- Map out the route you will take to school. Whether driving, biking or walking, do not wait until the last minute to learn how long it takes to get to school. Give yourself plenty of time to avoid the rush.