After School and Out of School Time Programs
Supports, enhances and extends the learning of the school day. In collaboration with community partners, we offer 60+ before and after school programs that provide a safe, engaging environment to motivate and inspire students’ learning. The Youth Engagement Services team, organizes and coordinates with sites to improve students’ academic ability, particularly in the areas of reading and math. Strategies include one-to-one and small group tutoring, homework assistance, and a variety of enrichment and physical activities to provide additional learning opportunities.
What we know:
- After school programs are equivalent to 90 additional days in school.
- Providing safe places for youth between the hours of 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM is essential
- After school provides the time for strategic interventions
What we believe:
- Students are our resource
- A caring adult relationship now can last a lifetime
- 3 hours a day can make a difference
- Students deserve a balanced day
The after school programs are aligned with, and not be a repeat of, the content of regular school day. In all k-8 programs you should see:
- An educational and literacy component that provides tutoring and/or homework assistance to help meet state standards in core academic subjects: reading/language arts, mathematics, history and social studies, or science.
- An enrichment component that reinforce and complement the school’s academic program. Enrichment may include positive youth development strategies, recreation and prevention activities, the visual and performing arts, music, physical activity, health/nutrition promotion, and recreation; career awareness and work preparation activities; community service, service-learning; and other youth development activities based on student needs and interests.
- Programs operates every school day and ends at 6:00 PM (Please see early release policy)
High School 9-12 Programs:
The high school after school programs operate as a community learning centers It is an extension of learning opportunities and social and emotional support for students and is focused on three core areas:
- Improved academic achievement
- Enrichment services that reinforce and complement the academic program, and
- Family literacy and related educational development services
In high school programs you may see:
- Before school programs through 0 period classes
- Programs immediately after school focused on test preparation, extension of core subject areas
- Classes for credits
- Peer mentoring
- Opportunities for service
- Opportunities for career exploration
- Visual and performing arts, music
- Physical activities opportunities
- And more
If you live in the area of a 21st Century High School After School Safety and Enrichment for Teens Programs and interested in attending please contact our office at 916-643-7994.
The majority of the SCUSD after school programs funded through the After School Education and Safety (ASES) Program and 21st Century High School After School Safety and Enrichment for Teens (ASSETs) Programs.