NGSS Summer Institute and Assessment Update
Please inform your teachers of the following opportunity:
NGSS Summer Institute
8:30am – 12:00pm
C.K McClatchy High School
Sign Up Link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4fabae2ba4f49-science
These sessions will be a great way to learn more about the NGSS and ways to implement the new standards in your classroom. Here are some quick facts about the sessions:
- There will be time each day to plan with colleagues that teach at your grade level.
- The sessions will integrate the 15-16 professional learning and our 16-17 professional learning targets.
- The sessions are in series (not repeated), attend as many as you can. We know that there may be conflicting professional learning opportunities.
- The sessions are paid per diem.
- Each grade each day level has a maximum of 30 spots – sign up quickly!
NGSS ASSESSMENT UPDATE
The State Board of Education (SBE) approved phasing out the CSTs for the 16-17 school year and rolling out a computer-based NGSS census pilot assessment in its place. The CDE is in the process of drafting a waiver to the federal government to administer the pilot assessment in place of the CSTs. This could lead to two possible scenarios:
1. An NGSS aligned assessment in place of the CSTs in grades 5, 8 and high school.
2. An NGSS aligned assessment and the CSTs in grades 5, 8 and high school.
I will keep you posted as we get more information from the CDE.