Diploma Process for Former Students Who Did Not Pass CAHSEE
High Schools

Principal Bulletin Informational

Governor Brown recently signed legislation that will allow some students who did not pass the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) to receive a high school diploma retroactively.

Senate Bill 172 requires all K-12 districts to award diplomas to students who met every other graduation target but failed the exit exam, which became a requirement starting with the class of 2006. It takes effect in January and sunsets on July 1, 2018.

District staff has created a webform for students interested in requesting a diploma. Once the webform request is submitted, the Student Hearing and Placement Office will research whether the student qualifies for a diploma (i.e. met every other graduation requirement).

We anticipate that some former students may contact their former high school for information. Please direct former students to the webform or to the Student Hearing and Placement Office at (916) 643-9425.