Schools and Buildings: Why They Have Their Names
Named for President Abraham Lincoln, it is the third district building to bear the late president’s name. The first Lincoln School, built before the turn of the century, was burned down and replaced in the 1920’s. The building was later used as an administration building and the site at 4th and Q Streets today is named Lincoln Plaza.
Co-founder of the Parent Teacher movement, later PTA, along with Phoebe Hearst.
General A.M. Winn was president of the City Council under Sacramento’s first city charter, elected 1849. He was founder of Sons of the Golden West.
Named for subdivision.
American writer who came to California in 1854. Served as US Consul to Prussia and Scotland, wrote “The Luck of Roaring Camp and other Sketches” and “Tales of Argonauts.”
Cesar E. Chavez
Labor leader who formed the United Farm Workers Union to improve working conditions for agricultural laborers.
Named for City of Sacramento official flower. Basic was added to the name in 1982.
Clayton B. Wire
Annexed in 1958. Named after board of education member of the Pacific Elementary School District who served for thirty years.
Collis. P. Huntington
One of the “big four” in promoting the railroad from Sacramento to Salt Lake City. Co-owner of hardware store in Sacramento with Mark Hopkins.
The first Riverside School was annexed in 1911. The original Crocker was torn down and attendance area combined when Crocker/Riverside was built in 1975 on the Riverside site. Crocker was a dry goods dealer in charge of construction of the Central Pacific Railroad.
A dry goods businessman, He was instrumental in forming an international institute of agriculture in 1910.
Annexed in 1958. Named for former governor of California and former Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
Editor of Sacramento’s first newspaper. In 1849 he published The Placer Times in Sacramento. In 1859, was associate editor of The Sacramento Union.
Annexed in 1958. Named for the creek which runs in the area.
Ethel I. Baker
Annexed in 1958. Named for superintendent of the Fruit Ridge District who served for 37 years.
Annexed in 1958. Named for 20-year teacher, principal and superintendent of the district.
Fr. Keith B. Kenny
Named for Catholic Priest who was pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. He was an advocate for Spanish-speaking people, a strong supporter of United Farm Workers, and a confidant of Cesar Chavez.
Annexed in 1958. Named for nearby town.
Annexed in 1958. Named after area because of various fruit trees, which grew on a ridge.
Named for California, the Golden Empire, for its rich gold deposits.
Dr. Harvey Wilson Harkness was the first superintendent of Sacramento City Schools, and served from 1854 to 1855.
Annexed in 1958. Named after subdivision.
Historian and writer, his finished work on the history of the Pacific coast consisted of 39 volumes and covered Alaska to Panama. His collection of research is the basis for UC Berkeley Bancroft Library, one of the greatest research centers in the West.
A wealthy tobacco merchant who came to Sacramento in the 1860’s. He was very devoted to helping orphans and was an honorary member on the Sacramento Children’s Home Board of Directors.
Marshall worked for John Sutter. He discovered gold at Sutter’s Mill in Coloma on January 24, 1848.
Head of company of 15 who were first Americans to enter California by overland route from the East. His trail to California became a great transcontinental route.
Worked for Captain John Sutter. A leading agriculturist, donated land to churches, forest service, and site of Northern School of Northern California, now California State University, Chico.
Portuguese navigator who sailed under the flag of Spain. Cabrillo discovered San Diego Bay in 1542. The school was originally named Sutter Union. It was annexed into the district July 1, 1958.
Before Mexican War, Commodore Sloat was placed in command of the American Fleet in the Pacific. Under his direction, Monterey was taken, the Mexican flag hauled down and the Stars & Stripes raised.
Son of Albert and Fannie Weinstock Bonnheim, died at age 16. Parents established the Joseph Bonnheim Memorial Scholarship Fund at University of California. By 1951, 800 students had been helped by this fund.
Named for Upper Lisbon and Lower Lisbon Schools that were located in the pocket area from the 1800’s which served the principally Portuguese community in the area.
Annexed in 1958. Students of the South Sacramento School District chose name while school was in the planning stage. After construction, students raised money and planted maple trees.
Named for African-American opera singer Marian Anderson who made history in 1939 when she was barred from the stage at Constitution Hall. She proudly sang from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
One of the “Big Four” in establishing the first railroad from Salt Lake City. Co-owner of hardware store with Collis.P. Huntington.
American humorist Samuel Langhorned Clemens, born 1835. Wrote “Jumping Frog of Calaveras County,” along with “Tom Sawyer” and “Huckleberry Finn.” Newspaper reporter while living in West.
Named for “Sister City” in Japan. Delegates from Matsuyama, including the Mayor, were present for dedication ceremonies when the school opened in 1993.
Annexed in 1958. The Nicholas family owned large acreage in the area for many years and the school was built on a portion of this property. C.B. Wire married a daughter of the Nicholas family.
Annexed in 1958. At the time, this school was built there was a lone oak tree on the property. The use of the word “ridge” made the name conform with the Fruit Ridge School.
Superintendent of the Sacramento City Schools 1894-1913.
Annexed in 1958. Pacific School District was one of the oldest school districts in California and named after the ocean. This is the second school to carry the name.
School for the homeless, named for the street. Is behind the South Sacramento Emergency Housing Shelter on Parker Ave.
Annexed in 1958. Named for the subdivision.
American pioneer in California and first governor of the state from 1849-51. In 1863, Peter Burnett, Sam Brannan and Joseph Winans organized the first chartered commercial bank in state. He was elected Associate Justice of the Supreme Court and advanced to Chief Justice.
Co-founder of the parent-teacher movement, later called PTA, with Alice Birney.
The Pony Express unique system of delivery mail. Trail of “express” ran between St. Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento. (Plaque in Old Sacramento on 2nd Street marks end of trail.)
Named for Cherokee Indian Sequoyah who developed the first American Indian alphabet in an attempt to establish a written Indian language. His name was given to the giant California coniferous tree, which reaches a height of 320 feet and diameter of 35 feet.
Susan B. Anthony
Activist for the women’s movement, especially in seeking women’s right to vote.
Named for township and site of early trading post.
Named for Lake Tahoe. Tahoe is an Indian name signifying “big water.”
Known as the engineering wizard of the West. Employed by Sacramento Valley Railroad, sent to Washington, DC to see president regarding transcontinental railroad, but could generate no interest. On return to Sacramento met “big four” Crocker, Hopkins, Stanford and Huntington, and Central Pacific Railroad became reality.
Third president of the United States, author of Declaration of Independence.
General George Washington, first president of the United States of America.
Came to California in 1860. Worked as messenger boy for Eastern Hotel. In 1875, purchased hotel, and State House. Owned many real estate interests, several ranches, orchards and residential properties. Served as mayor in 1898, deeded William Land Park to City.
Annexed in 1958. Named for the avenue on which it was built.
Trapper, pathfinder and early pioneer of the West. Credited with bringing first wagons from east into state.
Librarian who specialized in California history. Worked in the state library for 36 years, the last 22 as Chief Librarian of the California section.
Member of the Sacramento City Unified School District Board of Education for 32 years, July, 1942 to March, 1974.
John Morse Waldorf
John Frederick Morse, MD, was an early Sacramento school trustee and prominently identified with the civic advancement of Sacramento almost from its beginning. He opened the first hospital in Sacramento in 1849. One of original stockholders of the Central Pacific Railroad.
John Hamilton Still, founder of the first bookstore in Sacramento at 2nd Street between K & L Streets. A plaque was erected for his contribution to the early literary and cultural development of the City of Sacramento.
Leonardo da Vinci
For the Italian artist. School name was changed when program moved from Theodore Judah to Joaquin Miller Junior High School site.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
For Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader who sought non-violence in seeking civil rights
Named for world-renowned scientist and winner of Nobel Peace Prize.
California Named for state
Annexed in 1958. Fern Bacon was a teacher in the old Pacific School, She served that district for 42 years, 15 as superintendent.
An American trapper, scout and Indian agent. Acted as guide for Fremont’s expeditions during 1842-44. Was appointed Indian agent in 1853.
Leader in the political and financial history of California. Opened store at Sutter’s Fort in 1847, the first of its kind in valley. Carried news of gold discovery to San Francisco. Built Sacramento’s amphitheater and City Hall. He was newspaperman, farmer, merchant, banker and politician.
Captain John Sutter, came to California in 1839, established New Helvetia or Sutter’s Fort, offering hospitality to immigrants.
Will C. Wood
Born in Elmira, CA in 1880, served as principal in Fairfield schools, superintendent in Alameda, State Superintendent of Schools from 1919 – 1927. Drafted and lobbied through the legislature California’s basic junior college law.
Born in Sacramento in 1858, he succeeded his father James McClatchy, the veteran California editor, as editor of the Sacramento Bee in 1884.
Was governor of California in 1910, reelected in 1914. Initiated many reforms while governor, including workmen’s compensation act, laws regulating weights and measures, conservation of natural resources, woman’s suffrage. Elected US senator, and served for over a quarter of a century.
An extension of Hiram Johnson main campus, home to the successful West Campus School of Business, Technology and Management.
John F. Kennedy
Named for President John F. Kennedy, assassinated in office in 1963.
Born 1849. Self-made scientist who won international reputation as plant breeder. Responsible for numerous creation in plant world, including “Burbank Potato.”
Named for the City. Sacramento means “The Holy Sacrament.” The river was christened “Jesus Maria” by Captain Moraga, while the branch was called Sacramento. Later this name was applied to the main stream.
Marshall was the first African-American to serve on the US Supreme Court; appointed Chief Justice.
Sara M. Jones
Sacramento’s and California’s first African-American teacher. In 1870, she began teaching at Sacramento Ungraded School 2, known as the “Colored School” at Ninth & Q Streets. In 1894, the school board abolished segregated education, and promoted Ms. Jones to principal. She later was appointed principal of Fremont Primary at 24 & N Streets.
Capital City School, K-12
Name reflecting state capital chosen in 1997 by Independent Study students for their K-12 program.
Adult Education Schools
A. Warren McClaskey
Well known and respected local adult educator.
Fremont School for Adults
John C. Fremont was a lieutenant in the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers and was well know for his accurate mapping of the Oregon Trail. General Mariano G. Vallejo surrendered to Fremont in Sonoma in 1846.
Named for James Marshall, who discovered gold at Sutter’s Mill in 1848. The building has been in use since erected in 1903.
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center
Named for Assistant Superintendent of Adult Education Charles A. Jones who retired in 1999. Jones was a district employee for 36 years.
Edward Kelley Preschool
Property donated by Edward Kelley, formerly named Brighton School No. 2 and was part of the Brighton township. The original school was built in the 1860s and rebuilt following a fire in 1891. It was renamed in 1923 in honor of the land donor. In 1975, the Rancho Cordova Bicentennial Committee restored the building and rehung the original school bell. The building is a City and County Historical Landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historical Places.
Joaquin Miller (Admin. Annex)
“Poet of the Sierras” came West in 1852. Was a country schoolteacher. He established a Pony Express run from Idaho to Washington. Established a newspaper, and his popularity as an author began.
Originally named Strawberry Lane School, the school was renamed John Muir, the naturalist and writer who was instrumental in the preservation of wilderness areas and campaigned for the establishment of Yosemite National Park.
H C. Muddox (Transportation Headquarters)
Dedicated in 1942. Unknown history.
Grocer during the gold rush, he was among the big four in establishing the Central Pacific Railroad. Was elected as Governor of California in 1862.