GATE Referral Process
For families residing within SCUSD boundaries
Students not yet identified for GATE Services in SCUSD may be referred for screening by either their parents/guardians or current/past teacher. Students eligible for referral include any student who is new to SCUSD, or is in 2nd grade or grades 4-6.
Students are screened for GATE Services in elementary grades. The GATE Department will screen a child no more than 3 times – with at least 12 months between each screening - during their educational career.
Referral Screening happens on the following dates:
4 screening sessions are scheduled during the 2016-17 school year:
August 24, 2017 – New to SCUSD ONLY
October 2017 — TBD
February 2018 — TBD
April 2018 — TBD
Referral Steps for Parents
- All parents of children residing within SCUSD boundaries, regardless of whether or not they currently attend SCUSD schools, may refer their child for GATE Services Screening.
- If you currently live outside of SCUSD boundaries and are interested in GATE Screening for enrollment in GATE services, please contact The SCUSD GATE Department.
- Print out the Parent Referral Form
- Complete and sign the form.
- Collect any relevant outside data and documentation (academic test results, GATE identification documentation from other states/districts, etc).
- Submit the Referral Form and any additional documentation to the GATE Department.
- The GATE Office will contact parents/guardians to confirm referral screening on one of the dates listed above.
Referral Steps for Teachers
- Print out the Teacher Referral Form and the HOPE Rating Scale
- Complete the forms.
- Collect any relevant outside data and documentation (academic test results, etc).
- Submit the Referral Form and the documentation to the GATE Office.
- The GATE Office will contact parents/guardians to confirm and authorize referral screening on one of the dates listed above.