West Campus MESA students take top honors at UC Davis competition
West Campus High School students captured several first-place medals at the 2016 Preliminary MESA Day competition held March 19 at UC Davis.
More than 400 high school and middle school students from the greater Sacramento area competed in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) challenges to qualify for Northern California Regional MESA Day at UC Davis on April 30.
West Campus winners included:
- Michael Li and My Nguyen: First place, Balsa Wood Airplane
- Mateo Torrico and Emma Lowrie: Second place, Balsa Wood Airplane
- Trevor Zinky and Justin Van: First place, Mousetrap Car
- Liz Sanchez, Ezzie Uwadiale and Edgar Murillo: First place, Speak Out oral competition
- Sarah DiGiorgio: Second place, Civil Structures Balsa Wood Bridge
- Amy He: First place, EggXpress Egg Drop
- Qi Liu and Phillip Kim: Second place, EggXpress Egg Drop
- Ezzie Uwadiale and Liz Sanchez: Third place, EggXpress Egg Drop
West Campus also won the spirit award, in part because of their T-shirt design created by sophomore, Qi Liu.
MESA Day provides students with an opportunity to apply mathematics, science and engineering principles to individual and team academic contest and, over time, to develop their mastery of these academic skills