Teachers Honored at 2nd Annual Teacher Appreciation Gala
Students, family members, colleagues and Sacramento City Unified Board members and administrators gathered at Memorial Auditorium last week to recognize and celebrate the inspiring contributions of district teachers.
The event, organized by the Sacramento Unified Foundation, was started last year to celebrate and recognize the inspiring work of our teachers and as a means to provide students with an opportunity to express their appreciation for their teachers and what good teaching and learning means to them.
Proceeds from the event help supplement educational programs in Sac City and make an important contribution to the resources available to our kids.
In addition, each Board of Education member named an inspiring teacher from their trustee area. The teachers are:
- Jay Hansen, Area 1 – Michael Davis, C.K. McClatchy High School
- Ellen Cochrane, Area 2 – Chloe Williams, David Lubin Elementary School
- Christina Pritchett, Area 3 – Matt Naumann, Rosemont High School
- Michael Minnick, Area 4 – Alanna Butterworth, Camellia Basic Elementary School
- Mai Vang, Area 5 – Allison McCart, John Morse Therapeutic Center
- Darrel Woo, Area 6 – Nancy Katindoy, School of Engineering and Sciences
- Jessie Ryan, Area 7 – Brooke Sasser, Ethel Baker Elementary School
During welcome remarks, Superintendent Jorge Aguilar paid tribute to John F. Kennedy teacher Retter St. John who taught at the school for 47 years. Ms. St. John died recently, and Superintendent Aguilar noted that up until her last days, she did not stop asking Principal David Van Natten about her students, writing lesson plans or grading papers. As Principal Van Natten said, “She is a testatment to what impact a teacher can have on her students.”
In addition to the Foundation, gala sponsors included the Sacramento City Teachers Association, SMUD, Schools Financial Credit Union, Lozano Smith Attorneys at Law, Western Health Advantage and Derivi Castellanos Architects.
A list of teachers recognized at the gala may be found here.