Safety tips for children
With warmer weather and more children walking and biking to school, now is the time to remind your child of some important safety tips:
- There is safety in numbers — avoid walking alone to and from school.
- Avoid shortcuts — walk only in safe areas.
- Never go into anyone’s home or get in anyone’s car that you do not know.
- If approached or followed by a car, do not approach the car or speak to those inside, even if asked.Run in the opposite direction and seek help.
- Remain alert to surroundings.
- Always report suspicious behavior.
Police also recommend that parents teach their children how to dial 9-1-1 and help them memorize their home phone number and address.