Now is the time to get help and learn about college financial aid
Applying for college financial aid can be made easy by attending a free Cash for College workshop. It starts with completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Application (CADAA).
The application period began Oct. 1, and early application is encouraged. See below for the schedule of district workshops.
To qualify for up to $12,630 a year, students must have at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average and have completed either the FAFSA or the CADAA before March 2.
Students must bring:
- Student’s Social Security card AND drivers’ license (or government issued ID), if available
- Parent’s Social Security card if available
- Parent’s 2016 federal income tax return
- Records of untaxed income such as child support, TANF, interest income, veterans non-education benefits, Social Security benefits
- Student’s 2016 federal income tax return or evidence of income earned (W-2 form or pay records)
- Bank account records or statements
- Records of stocks, bonds or investments
- Business Records
- If not a US citizen, bring alien registration card if available
- A list of the colleges you are interested in
Foster students are also encouraged to apply for a Chaffee Grant which is for students in foster care between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need. They may qualify for up to $5,000 for career and technical training or college in California or other states. Students must also complete the FAFSA application or CADAA to apply for the Chaffee Grant. More information about the Chaffee Grant is available online at https://www.chafee.csac.ca.gov/
District workshops are scheduled for:
- Thursday, Oct. 12: C.K. McClatchy High School, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 17: Luther Burbank High School, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 24: Rosemont High School, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
A workshop was also held earlier this week at Hiram Johnson High School. For workshops later in the season or in other areas go to www.cash4college.org