December 2013 Math Common Core Teacher Workshop
Please note each workshop has a set of common materials plus the specific grade level materials accessed by clicking a grade below.
Common Materials for All Grades
- Hess’ Cognitive Rigor Matrix
- Looking at Student Work
- Five “Key Strategies” for Effective Formative Assessment
- SCUSD Lesson Plan
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium Test Blueprint
Grade Level Materials
Below are a list of links to resources for Common Core aligned tasks:
Illustrative Mathematics provides sample tasks aligned to the Common Core State Standards for grades K – 12.
Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) will write the summative assessment for 24 states, including California, aligned to Common Core that all students in grades 3 – 8 and 11 will take starting in 2014-2015. Their website provides sample tasks and performance items, as well as a practice test for every grade level.
Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) will write the summative assessment for the other 18 states, excluding California, aligned to Common Core that all students in grades 3 – 8 and 11 will take starting in 2014-2015. Their website provides sample tasks and performance items, as well as a practice test for every grade level
The Missouri Department of Education website organizes the available Smarter Balanced sample items for every grade level into separate PDF documents so they are easy-to-navigate and easy-to-use.
The Mathematics Assessment Project (MAP) website provides summative performance tasks and tests aligned to the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, as well as lesson plans that support the use of formative assessments, and professional development modules to assist teachers with implementing the lesson plans.
- When will we get new textbooks? The state of California will be publishing their listed of adopted mathematics materials in early 2014. SCUSD will begin its formal textbook adoption committee in February 2014.
- How / when / by whom will curriculum maps and pacing guides be created for new courses?
Curriculum maps, which contain pacing guides, will be created by the end of this school year (Spring 2014) by math training specialists with the help of classroom teachers. Curriculum maps will be ready for implementation by the start of the 2014-2015 school year
- Is anything new happening to the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) with Common Core? The state of California has not made any changes to the CAHSEE, yet.